This time of year my skin is especially dry from the cold, winter weather. I have been taking extra care to moisturise it to keep it hydrated. For my Month of Beauty feature I asked Dove about their top tips to help with dry skin. Over to them:
- Exfoliate regularly to clear dry, rough skin and create the perfect base for deep moisturisation
- Although central heating keeps you warm and toasty, the dry atmosphere has an effect on the skin’s ability to stay hydrated so be sure to apply moisturiser daily in the morning, straight out of the shower
- Research suggests skin regeneration peaks overnight so be sure to put on a layer of Dove Winter Care before you hop into bed for deep down nourishment
- The skin on your hands is constantly exposed to the elements, which means they’re particularly susceptible to dryness in cold, windy weather. We’d always advise wearing gloves when you go outside at this time of year and carry hand cream with you for extra nourishment
- Your nails can also be affected as a result of cold air and temperature changes so make sure you rub hand lotion into your nails and nail beds during the day to keep them soft
- Hot baths may feel wonderful after being out in the cold but the extreme heat of a hot bath can break down the lipid barriers in the skin, leading to a loss of moisture in the skin. So before you slide into a relaxing bath - make sure it’s not too hot!
- Chapped lips are a common problem during the cold winter months and licking them will only make them worse by causing them to dry out even faster. Be sure to carry a good lip balm with you to keep lips soft and moist
- Your skin is at its most vulnerable straight after showering so make sure once you dry off you apply a body lotions right away to lock in that moisture and keep your skin soft and smooth!